Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Journey Begins

Well folks, as some of you know I have already built a bow based on the Mollegabet design that I built following along with a series of youtubes by Mike at Boarrior Bows.  (look him up on youtube)  It took me about 20 hours and cost around $40 Canadian to produce.  It draws 60ish pounds.  I don't have a proper tillering set up and used an assistant and a bathroom scale to weigh the bow.


I am quite happy with it, however after firing about 300 arrows, there is a crack developing on one of the edges of the bottom limb. You can just make it out in this image.

As I contemplate how to deal with this set back, I went back to Lowe's this evening and purchased a couple of 8' lengths of red oak with much better grain direction. One is slated to become a tapered longbow, the other will be another mollegabet style longbow.

It is getting late and I need to be on the bus at 6:50 am tomorrow so I am going to go get some sleep and decide which bow will be the first.

No comments: