Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mollegabet Longbow Complete

I am really pleased with the way this bow has turned out.  Not perfect, but it looks decent and it shoots well.  I have learned a lot building this bow and had a blast doing it.  And that is the point of the entire exercise isn't it?

The paduak handle/riser is the best part in my eyes.  I love the way wood can transform from a fairly plain block to a voluptuous and colorful body that begs to be caressed.

unremarkable block
Improved with curves
before finishing
After finishing
Here you can see the color boost that the finish gives the wood.  I just used a 2 in 1 red oak finish that I purchased from Lowe's for less than 5 bucks.  
The finish highlights a couple of flaws in the woodwork, but the lessons learned will improve the look of the next bow.






Final draw weight is about 45lbs at 28" which makes it a legal hunting bow in Alberta.  Not sure how fast my arrows go, but my wooden arrows are heavy.  The do make a nice resounding 'smack' when they impact the target.

Stay tuned for more bowyer action, I started the tapered longbow while waiting for the finish to dry on this one.
Starting the tapered longbow


Parting shot of the paduak

No comments: